Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Any connection btwn "crochety" and "crochet"?

Going to lunch with the young'ins again. These are the two girls from my Spanish class, all of 20 and 19. Is there something wrong with me that I get along with them, or something wrong with them that they get along with me? Are we talking lost youth or lost parenting complexes?

Anyway, they're nice gals. Even if one of them had never heard of "Rainbow Connection." Guess I can't expect her to reminisce about the Boogaloos and stirrup pants either.

Last time we had lunch, we browsed through Nordstroms.

Personally I feel decrepitude creeping on me as I walk around the mall going "what the hell is that?" They ooh'd over dress shoes that my brain is trying desperately to accept as fashionable...when it is the very type of shoe that in the 80's crept from fashionable to being the staple of all budget minded, taste disabled, over 70 year olds for the majority of two decades.

But this whole UGG/Sherpa boot thing... Why can't I wrap my mind around this? Do you realize that these things would make most normal womens legs look like a telephone pole with a cow wrapped around it?

Just as I was about to say in the shoe department of Nordstroms: "This isn't a shoe, this is an accessory for driving a team of oxen to market." One of the gals rushed over, gushing. I just don't get it....just how off the mark am I with this particular trend? Is it really bad, or am I officially flung into the depths of blue light hell for my hopelessly behind taste? Maybe I should just give in and gush too, they are practical...after all, how many other shoes allow one to go straight from a tail gate party with your best guy to hunting the great and powerful Himalayan Yeti?

Clearly it's just an age thing...my mind is slipping already. Just the other day, I sat on the couch, thinking about what I need to do re: packing. I fiddle (tap pens, chew somethIng, yadda) when I think, and I just happened to have a half full bottle of water next to me. Deep in thought I start to shake the water up and down...hmmmm...

Would help if the lid were actually screwed ON the bottle. Half a pint of water in the face.

Now that certainly cleared my thoughts right up. Gratefully my padded bra (which sadly, is not so much for padding, as for crane type heft) soaked up the rest of the rebound protecting my laptop from the onslaught.

Aging...it's not so much a slow creep as stepping off a 9 story building with a bottle of Pepto in your hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home