Sunday, April 10, 2005

Hazzard County, USA

My husband has a deeply childhood regressive fascination with the Dukes of Hazzard. Now I'd like to pretend that I have the right to stare down my nose at this taste, but then to do so I'd have to ignore that I still get a little giddy every time Ricky Schroeder comes on television. We don't so much outgrow things from our youth as store them aside to revisit when being an adult particularly sucks.

I certainly remember my own adolescent crush on John Schneider..so this show was, at one time, not such a stinker to me. I won't even deny that at the tender age where Dukes of Hazzard came along, I wanted deeply to be a mesh of Daisy Duke, Solid Gold Dancer and a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader. The curse of most girls born in the 70's was that their idea of grown up glamour involved Glittery spandex, shiney satin and heels with shorts. It could be equally argued that we had a decided lack of liberated female influence OR that we were heralded into a new era where a woman celebrated her own sexuality.

But I digress.

As an adult I can recognize logically that DOH is about as bad as sitcom gets. However, it's somehow easy to forget dialog like "woo-eeee, Cooter" when you find yourself happily singing along to "Just a good ol' boooys" and recalling with pleasure watching stupid cooty-filled boys take face plants into car hoods as they tried to imitate the sliding into car windows bit.

Because I love him so very very much, I have purchased the man the first two seasons of DOH on DVD. I keep trying to explain to him that though I love him enough to support his love of the Dukes, I do not love him enough to watch 21 hours of season one.

And yet here I sit. And I still don't know which one is Bo and which one is Luke. And how the hell can you have three cousins living with one uncle? So there are THREE sets of missing parents?? I'm questioning this whole "uncle" Jesse. I'm thinking more of an "Uncledaddy" situation. They don't call it Hazzard County for nuthin'.

Trivia: Did you know that the actor who played Boss Hogg was a deeply educated man who spoke like a kajillion languages? That he had to wear a fat suit to play BH?

Uh-huh...bet you didn't know that. And now I bet you're wishing to God you could forget.

As I sit here watching, now, season two (kill me...kill me please), one thing grinds into my head ("just one thing?" you're probably asking yourself).

Yaaaa-hooo. Yaaaa--freakin'--hooo.

This is what Bo (Luke?) Duke always says, "yaaa-hooo."

WHO says yaa-hoo? What rightfully sane redneck says yaa-hoo?

J'ACCUSE!!!!

Good ol' boys my ASS!

It's Yee-HAW, thanguverahmush. Someone outta kick that citah' boys ay-uss.

Although to be fair, perhaps it's only Texans that say Yee-haw. In which case, I'm still right b/c we're the definitive answer on gutteral non-verbal communiques of emotion.

Y'know...

Sometimes I overthink things.

1 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

I gotta say that short of a rodeo, a movie or a Hee-Haw rerun I have yet to hear an actual man, redneck or not, say either Yee-haaa! or Yaaa-hooo!

Hell, where I'm from we keep quiet when running bootleg liquor so as to not tip off the sherrif.

I'm digging the Boss Hogg trivia though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home